(Group shot at Powderkeg restaurant in Ohakune - I'm holding my $13 paralyzer!)I had a fantastic weekend - beautiful, exciting, relaxing, scenic, reflective, memorable, and exhausting!!!! I didn't end up skiing (by our Canadian standards, the snow conditions were not great), but as you can see by a few of these pictures, I did a lot of hiking. Tongariro National Park has some beautiful walking trails, so we did a couple of those - 2 were an hour or longer, and then a few were just tiny little short walks, like the one to the Lord of the Rings waterfall. I would have loved to have skiied, but I had a fantastic weekend nonetheless!
Things at school are still just peachy. I have my first Wellington Youth Choir rehearsal tomorrow evening, so I'm pretty excited about that. I'll be taking the train into Wellington, which could potentially be quite the adventure, but I'm arranging to take it with one of my students who sings in the choir as well. He knows his way around, so that's good - I would hate to get lost and arrive late (or not at all!) to my first rehearsal with WYC!
And as a follow-up to my post about the first blues lesson, the second lesson was a blast too! We had 2 groups composing their own original 12-bar blues, and they performed them at the end of the class. Both of them chose humorous lyrics (one group sang about how Penny, who wasn't in their group, was sad because she didn't get to be in the group with Andrew and Hannah: "I got Andrew and Hannah, and Penny, she be sad. Ohhhh I got Andrew and Hannah, and Penny she be sad. And because of this.... your blues might sound real bad!" The other group sang about Barbie losing her cell phone, and thus her ability to text Ken. It was inspired by Penny's pencil case, which featured Barbie talking on her cell phone. These are the things you come up with when you're lacking inspiration. Hahaha). I'll be following up with this class later in the week, teaching a lesson that will likely include B.B. King and Louis Armstrong, and the progression of blues, jazz styles, etc. Should be a good time!
It's now after 11pm and I really need to get to bed. I hope you're enjoying the pictures and updates - I'm trying to keep up! I know you're curious at home. Until next time!
8 comments:
Hey Lauren
Great photos!! Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures in person!
Thanks for linking me from your blog too - I may return the favour, if you don't mind! :)
Just curious:
Have you seen a kiwi bird yet?
Like, do they just hang out all over?
Or are they rare?
lol
Laura - I haven't seen an actual kiwi yet, although I've seen the signs (see picture above), and I've seen fake ones at the Te Papa museum in Wellington. I will likely see one at the zoo sometime, but as for just seeing them as you're walking down the street, not so much. I'll let you know if I see a real one though! :o)
Hi Lauren! So glad to be back from the lake and have a chance to get caught up on blog entries and e-mails! Not much chance of you seeing a Kiwi as I think they are nocturnal. I have the photo of you on the chairlift on the fridge now. Do they hang photos on fridges in New Zealand or is that a Canadian thing?
Hi Lauren,
Loved the photos...now have a picture of you on the chairlift on our fridge at home...do they hang photos on the fridge in New Zealand or is that only a Canadian thing?
Think I posted my comment twice - if so I will explain to your friends that I'm just learning!! I'll get better at this.
I can confirm that there are photos on the fridge!
Just re-reading your blog and realized that I am pretty sure I went to the same hot pools in Taupo. I had to walk a little way up a highway from town to get to them. Doesn't the Taupo area remind you of Canada (British Columbia)?
Post a Comment